Established: First settled in 1826; town proclaimed in 1843.
Famous for: A warm country welcome across four well defined seasons, historical churches and buildings and a thriving agricultural industry.
Historical Milestones: The railway arrived in town in 1876, lime kilns were constructed in 1877 and Council was incorporated in 1882. The first school was built in 1858, the hospital foundation stone laid in 1910 and the high school opened in 1974.
What you can expect now: Blayney is home to a friendly, vibrant community surrounded by picturesque countryside. You’ll find modern facilities and a growing retail and dining scene in town. Take a drive along the backroads from Bathurst, Orange or Cowra and enjoy the spectacular views and landscapes.
Key events to plan for:
- Blayney Farmers’ Market - Third Sunday of the Month
- Blayney Harness Racing meeting - February/May
- Blayney Agricultural Show - March
- Textures For One Exhibition - March
- Anglican Book Fair - March
- Blayney Spring Flower Show - September
Must see and do:
- Take in the view from Church Hill Lookout walk or drive
- Take the boat or pitch tent at Carcoar Dam
- Let the kids run wild at the Heritage Park Adventure playground
- Take the Blayney Heritage Walk