Canowindra Historical Museum
Hours: Saturday 10am – 12noon or by arrangement phone
The first stage of the museum was formerly a one-teacher school at Murga built in 1915 and moved in 1970 with the aid of a Captain Cook Bicentenary Grant. Buildings were gradually extended on land acquired from the Railways. In 1988 the former station master’s house was bought and restored with a Bicentenary Grant as part of the museum complex. This cottage, built in 1910 to a standard railway design with a high pitched roof and feature chimneys, forms an important conclusion to one end of the heritage listed main street. The museum depicts the development of Canowindra from its beginnings as a 1840s frontier settlement through its growth as a centre for a rich agricultural district. There are vehicles of the horse drawn era and vintage farm implements and machinery that reflect the importance of lucerne, wheat and wool. An authentic slab hut, woolshed and tiny weatherboard shop have been relocated and house thematic displays. The main building displays household items, a dental surgery, textiles and wedding gowns of local brides from 1886 onwards. Most areas of the Canowindra Historical Museum are wheelchair accessible. The museum is adjacent to the Visitor Information Centre which has disabled toilet facilities.
The museum buildings are on part of the original 317 acres granted to Pierce Collits as compensation for loss of trade after the building of Victoria Pass bypassed his Collits In at the foot of Mount York.