Navigate quickly

mandurama

Mandurama Street

FAST FACTS

Population: 379

Established: 1876

Famous for: Thomas Icely, owner of historical 
Coombing Park established Mandurama for the 
workers from his property

Historical Milestones: Established in 1876 as 
a privately owned village for the workers of Thomas Icely’s property, Coombing Park. The name of the village is derived 
from the Wiradjuri word for “water holes. During this period 
the village was a busy place with community halls, a police station, banks, hotel, hospital, churches and a picture 
theatre! Nearby Junction Reefs was a rich gold mining 
area in the 1880s. Mandurama was also the central subject 
of treasured set of photographs known as the Mandurama Collection (1865 to 1935).

What you can expect now: The village amenities 
include a general store and café, hotel, service station, recreation facilities and other services. Enjoy the beautiful landscapes and countryside, home to some significant homesteads. Take a drive out on Burnt Yards Rd to Errowanbang and witness the beautiful scenery.

 

Key events to plan for:

  • Millamolong Polo Weekends – March and May
  • Anzac Day memorial – April

 

Must see and do:

  • 
Bakers Shaft Reserve at Junction Reefs for 
picnics and fishing
  • 
Enjoy the challenge of the Sunny Ridge 
Golf course 
  • Explore the village shops and parks 
  • 
Drive the back roads to Orange, Bathurst 
or Canowindra for some spectacular scenery.

 

Thomas Icely, (1797 – 1874) 
founding father of this region:

Thomas Icely was an early colonial landholder and stockbreeder. He was granted large land holdings from 1823. He later purchased land as well with his main holding, Coombing Park being established in 1831. He established Carcoar for law and order and other services in 1839. Later, to further support his holdings, he established Mandurama for his workers. His name is also associated with the introduction of Shorthorn stock into Australia.

A magistrate and consistent supporter of the Governor he served on the Legislative Council from 1864. He was the first lessee of Elizabeth Farm to which he retired with his family in 1869 
and where he died on 13 February 1874.

Instagram

Website powered by Bookeasy - Developed by impart media

@ 2014 Copyright Orange Visitor Centre